Liadalsnipa, Aug 17 2016

Going for NPR on one of my favorite peaks…

Peaks visited:

Peak Height PF Municipality Location
Liadalsnipa 924m 131m Ørsta GPX
Liadalsnipa – an amazing peak…

Anne was working on Runde this afternoon and took Karma with her. This allowed me to go to a mountain that is not dog-friendly. As I wasn’t keen on driving too far, I chose to go up Liadalsnipa again. The weather was gorgeous and I decided to try to set a new personal record (NPR) on the route from Halse. On my hike in July (fog and rain), I reached the top in 54 minutes. So the goal was just to beat that time.

The route from Halse

I decided to wear my new rubber mountain boots, which makes jogging very hard, but I wanted a solid grip on the exposed sections. I started jogging from the car and was totally out of steam by the time I reached the first gate. I had to stop for 10 seconds to recover (fortunately, I recover quickly) before jogging on.

When I reached the forest, I was no longer able to keep jogging. The path is steep and my legs were completely dead from a long mountain run the day before.

The “normal route” runs up this ridge

From the top of the forest, I was able to keep jogging up to the lake, where I passed four women from the “Tindekvindene” hiking group. After a very short chat, I continued up to the ridge and was soon ready to take on the steep section.

Lake Nakkevatnet

It was pure fun scrambling on dry rock in sunshine, but when I reached the third scramble pitch (is what I call it), it seemed more intimidating than ever before. This pitch was partly wet (in the shadow) and had scree that acted as rolling stones under my feet. The scramble went well, but I did not look forward to the descent here. Due to wear and tear, this pitch has simply become dangerous!

When I reached the top, the stopwatch showed 45m:25m and I was quite happy about having beat my previous time with almost 10 minutes (800 vertical meters, 2,3km)

Liadalsnipa summit view

After a quick round of pictures, I began my descent. When I got back to the third scramble point, I had no problems climbing across the large rock, but then the question was how I should descend the slab below. If I lost the grip, I would fall off the mountain. I noticed a notch on the exposed side of the slab and I was able to reach this with my left foot. Now that I had a “braking point”, I was able to lean down (facing the large rock) and carefully turn around. Then I lowered myself gently down the slab, using my hands and feet as brakes.

Descending Liadalsnipa

I met “Tindekvindene” at the second scramble point. Two of them had been here before, but I decided to say my opinion about descending the third scramble point and urged them to show the utmost care. I later saw that they did the full traverse, without a rope, and I felt silly about messing about the third scramble point  – which is nothing compare to some of the sections the traverse has to offer…

As I continued down the mountain, more hikers were on their way upwards. Some aiming for the top, some for the lake and some for Bjørnastighornet.

I was back at the car 6:45pm, 1h:40m after leaving it. It was very nice to be back to this wonderful peak!


Pictures from the trip:

Leave a Reply