2018 Week 7

Afternoon hikes and ski-trips

Week 7, in a nutshell

Peaks visited:


Peak Height PF Location WCP
Blåtind 697m 697m Ulstein, Norway WCP
Høgkubben 450m 62m Ålesund, Norway WCP
Storetua 590m 249m Sande, Norway WCP
Nihusen 438m 340m Skodje, Norway WCP
Rjåhornet 598m 105m Herøy, M&R, Norway WCP
Storebøra 785m 702m Vanylven, Norway WCP
Dalevarden 531m 98m Vanylven, Norway WCP
Nystøylhornet 600m 382m Vanylven, Norway WCP

Feb  12 2018, Blåtind

Go for the top, or not?

Monday; It had been snowing all day up to 4pm, and then it seemed to clear up. The forecast didn’t report any more showers for the rest of the day, so I decided to hike Blåtind – the highest top on Hareidlandet island.

Karma and I hadn’t gained much elevation before it started snowing again. Moreover, I had chosen a really steep hillside where Karma struggled with the grip. And due to the snow, I couldn’t take her socks of either. As I had forgotten the leash, I had to hold her in her suit, for the entire ascent up the steep section.

If the weather didn’t improve, I would not go for the top, but all of a sudden we got a break from the snowfall. Snow per se isn’t a problem, but combined with the wind, it’s awful for the dog. We hurried up to the top and had a quick “celebration”. The descent went along a different route, which had no steep sections. When we reached the village Haddal, it started snowing again, and I was SO GLAD we were not up on the mountain…

Feb 13 2018, Høgkubben

Some good views today

Tuesday; The weather wasn’t bad at all. I worked in Ålesund today and being dead tired after work, I chose the easy hike across Høgkubben. There is always a nice path, regardless of how much snow there is.

Feb 14 2018, Storetua

It was a rough time on top of Storetua

Wednesday; I decided to hike Storetua on Gurskøy island after work. I took the normal route via Holte, and didn’t look forward to the hike. I could see that it was blowing quite fiercly on top.

Except for deep snow at times, the ascent wasn’t all bad. But when we got on the summit ridge, it was a true inferno. Somewhere between severe gale and storm. Karma didn’t see much, so I had to put her on a leash. I didn’t want her to run towards the cornices on the north side of the ridge.

The cairns along the ridge provided some shelter from the furious wind, but they were also generating an incredible turbulence – making it difficult to see anything at all. When we reached the summit, I was almost tempted to descend straight off the mountain, but ended up running back the route we came. Very stressful, due to the weather, but it got a bit easier when we got off the summit ridge.

Feb 15 2018, Nihusen

Father-daughter conversation on Nihusen

Thursday; Another working day in Ålesund, and today, I would hike Nihusen with my good friend Torill Berg.

I’ve known Torill since 1998, and even if we don’t see each other too often, there is a everlasting bond between us. One of my most memorable trips was done together with Torill (click picture for trip report);

Stetind (2007 with Torill) – the proudest of all Norwegian peaks?

Nihusen is Torill’s mountain. She lives at the foothills and gets in top shape for her expeditions (Kilimanjaro, crossing Greenland, etc., etc..) by hauling tires up and down this mountain. She had of course been hauling tires up here today, before I came. This time, it’s a long ski-trip in the north that she is preparing for.

It was a really nice 5,3km round trip. We had lots of things to talk about, and agreed afterwards that we won’t let there be years before our next hike together…

Feb 16 2018, Rjåhornet

Another day with all sorts of weather…

Friday; Very tired after an intense working day, I had little energy left. The weather was NOT good, but I decided to hike up Rjåhornet and turn around if the weather got too nasty.

Karma and I headed out from Djupvika, and across the flats – before the main ascent, it was raining and I was soaking wet already. Then I got a Facetime call from my girlfriend Anne – on a 3 week stay in India. We’ve never done Facetime before, so this was a bit special.

On the way into the fog, the shower passed and I saw an opportunity of getting up and partly down before the next shower came along. It felt so good to reach the top, when I previously have had no faith…

After a short stay on top, we ran down the mountain and reached the forest before the next rain shower came along. A great way to start Friday evening!

Feb 17 2018, Storebøra

Rugged weather on Storebøra

Saturday; I had to work from 07:30 to 10:00am, and then I had a LONG pause before I had to some additional work in the evening. I decided to go to Vanylven and ski Storebøra from Fiskå.

At Fiskå, there is no parking near the start of the mountain road that I planned to follow. Then a man came along and I asked him about parking. He said I could park across the road, next to his house. THEN we both realized that we also met in 2009 and 2012, the only two times I’ve done this route from Fiskå. And both times, he had invited me to park by his house!

The mountain road gave us an easy ride up to 400m. From here, I headed northwest, aiming directly for Storebøra (which I didn’t see, but I knew the direction). Fortunately, the snow – for the most part – carried Karma’s weight.

The weather on top of Storebøra wasn’t all good. It was quite windy, and Karma didn’t look comfortable. I tried to make the stop as short as possible. The descent was FUN, from the top and all the way back to the car! 8,9km in total and 750 vertical meters.

Feb 18 2018, Nystøylhornet & Dalevarden

Descending from Dalevarden

The plan was to skiing in the Syvden mountains, but when I drove across the Drageskaret pass, it was raining and the Syvden mountains looked unattractive. Plan B was to hike Nystøylhornet and Dalevarden from Åram. So I ended up on a different ferry than planned.

Even with snow on top of the mountain plateau, this was clearly a hike! On the way up the mountain, I was following the men’s 15km Biathlon (winter olympics Pyeongchang) on the radio, while Karma was busy exploring the territory.

When the competition had finished (and Norway had secured medal #26) I could focus on the hike. It was actually brilliant! The sun was now shining and I expected the snow to carry my weight. It did, and we both enjoyed ourselves to the fullest!

I think I chose the right plan, as there seemed to be worse weather in the higher mountains. No winds or snow showers here!

After descent from Dalevarden, the time was 2:43pm when I was back on my ascent route – at 242m elevation and 1,4km down to the car. I could see the ferry coming in and I knew that the ferry was departuring 2:55pm. As the ferry doesn’t run that often, I decided to run like crazy down the partly icy trail.

The time was 2:52pm when I reached the car, and 1 minute later I was in line for the ferry. That was a hilarious run!



Leave a Reply